We like to snack on them because they are a healthy alternative to sweets; tasty and crunchy, and full of valuable ingredients.
They contain vitamins E, B, and many minerals as well as large quantities of fats, which make them more caloric, but they are mainly unsaturated fatty acids that have a positive effect on our health. In addition to fats – they also contain fiber and protein. All kinds of nuts have different types of vitamins and minerals. That is why they are worth eating.
What kind of nuts should you reach for?
- Almonds are rich in magnesium and phosphorus. These elements influence the proper functioning of your brain. In addition, these elements protect against stress. Almonds also contain large amounts of fatty acids, and vitamin E, and B-2. They have a very positive effect on the condition of your skin as they delay skin aging processes.
- English walnuts contain large amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, which strengthens the heart, as well as bones, improve brain function, positively affect the state of your well-being.
- Hazelnuts also contain large amounts of unsaturated fatty acids, they are a great source of vitamin E. Vitamin E destroys free radicals as well as protects female organs from unwanted ailments.
- Macadamia nuts contain record-high amounts of fatty acids. They improve the condition of your skin by combating free radicals, which means that wrinkles do not appear and the skin aging process is delayed. In addition, these nuts reduce the risk of thrombosis, coronary heart disease, and strengthen the skeletal-muscular system.
- Pistachios contain large amounts of lutein and zeaxanthin, natural plant dyes, which strengthen the eyes and protect them from diseases.
- Brazil nuts these, in turn, are rich in selenium. They are recommended especially for men because they affect positively the efficiency of sperm. In addition, they have a strong antioxidant effect and thus prevent the development of cancer.
- Peanuts, commonly called groundnuts, goobers, contain large amounts of protein, magnesium, vitamin B-3, which improve your concentration, reduce stress, prevent the development of pellagra.
- Cashews contain very large amounts of plant protein, potassium, magnesium, iron. They protect your heart from a heart attack.
- Pecans contain large amounts of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids. They also contain large amounts of zinc, which improves the appearance of your skin, nails, and hair. Recommended for women because they prevent the development of breast cancer, as well as for men because they prevent the development of prostate cancer.
- Pine nuts contain large amounts of vitamin K, which is responsible for the proper blood coagulation processes. They also contain zinc and magnesium, which prevent the formation of inflammation and soothe a dry cough.
Watch out for the additives in nuts!
When buying nuts, you should consider the source of their origin. Of course, organic farming, home gardens are the best.
Also, pay attention to their additives. They cannot be roasted, baked, or with any unhealthy flavors such as: white salt, caramel, sugar, and others. The best and healthiest are raw and plain, without additives, as natural as possible.
Do nuts cause allergies?
There are a lot of different opinions on whether nuts should be soaked.
We think that you should soak them.
Nuts, seeds contain inhibitors, or moderators of enzymes, that protect the plant against early germination. When they get into your body, in turn, they block digestive enzymes; therefore, your body will absorb only a small amount of ingredients (from nuts) so important to your health.
If, on the other hand, you soak the nuts and seeds, you will absorb a lot more of their contents; up to 100 percent. Soaked nuts are softened, which makes them easier to digest and they do not weight the pancreas.
Your body does not digest phytic acid contained in seeds and shells. It has a strong chelating effect, that is, it can bind to mineral components. Thus, by providing the body with minerals, you lead them to combine with phytic acid. Insoluble compounds are formed and they don’t get into your bloodstream and will not be used for you. This acid is so strong that it additionally flushes out the minerals from your body, ex iron, magnesium.
And now the most important thing to me is that soaking the nuts and seeds cleanses them from various impurities. Nuts and seeds undergo various drying processes under different conditions, not to mention additives and impurities. Soaking nuts and seeds cleanses them without depriving them of valuable ingredients or changing their taste.
You can even list all the benefits of soaking them in the right solution. Soaked nuts are tastier and increase their mass, which means that you will eat less of them.
Not all nuts require soaking, because not all contain inhibitors such as cashews, brazil nuts, macadamia nuts. Flax and chia seeds should be soaked immediately before consumption because longer soaking makes them gelatinous.
How to soak nuts and seeds?
Put the nuts in a container, preferably glass. Pour water, preferably filtered, in a ratio of 1: 2 and then add a little bit of lemon juice. This way they can freely expand their volume. And so: for 1 liter of water, add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice. This amount should not change their taste.
Soaked nuts can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or again dried at 46 degrees Celsius for about 12 hours. Appropriate dryers for nuts are available in stores.
You should soak:
- almonds: 8-10 hours,
- english walnut: 10 hours,
- hazelnuts: 10 hours,
- cashew: 2 hours,
- brazil nut, pistachio, macadamia nuts: 1 hour,
- pine nut: 1 hour,
- pecan: 4-6 hours,
- pumpkin seeds: 8 hours,
- sunflower seeds: 4 hours,
- sesame seeds: 6-8 hours.
Thanks to soaking nuts and seeds, you consume only the most valuable components. In addition, soaking nuts may neutralize and remove the allergy symptoms of people who are allergic to nuts.
Source: martabrzoza.pl and my own experience