For people who are interested in natural medicine, it shouldn’t come as a surprise, that nature is filled with remedies in a form of herbs, fruits, and vegetables. Therefore, luckily, we aren’t dependable on the doctors and prescribed medications. Nature is amazing. It provides us with food and medicine in one. Usually, the key to a long life is appropriate nutrition.
Today I will introduce to you only a small number of vegetables as medications for specific ailments. Of course, I will only touch on the most common vegetables; however, it is important to remember that there are a lot more different and very healing foods such as fruits and vegetables.
Here is a list of nutritious and healing vegetables:
- Eggplant- it is rich in solanine. It is not recommended to eat it in its raw form, but once treated with heat (baking or boiling), it can decrease the cholesterol level in blood. It can also improve the overall state of the liver and gallbladder.
- Beets- it contains a healing amino acid called betanin. This substance greatly protects the liver from the alcohol as well as the fats coming from the meats. It detoxifies this organ and improves its regeneration process. It is recommended (as a preventative) to drink one glass of beets juice every day for the support of the intestines and bacterial flora balance.
- Onions and Garlic- their properties are very similar. Most importantly they are used as a preventative. They prevent the calcification of the arteries, so in this way, they prolong the life. Additionally, they decrease the triglyceride and cholesterol levels in the blood. They expand the blood vessels, in this way decreasing the pressure in the blood vessels. They support fermentation processes in the intestines by removing constipation and indigestion. Garlic is especially great in destroying parasites in the intestines. These vegetables decrease the glucose levels in the blood; therefore, they should find their way into the diet of many diabetics. Garlic is a great natural antibiotic and spice in the kitchen. I take it daily to boost my immune system.
- Pumpkin- it removes the toxins from the intestines, therefore, it is a great laxative. Oil made from the pumpkin seeds is used in the therapy against tapeworm. The seeds work also as a preventative in hyperplasia of the prostate gland in men.
- Peas- very interestingly in the past it was used as a natural form of anticonception, substituting the pills.
- Cabbage- in the 50s, it was discovered that the cabbage contains a specific type of protein said to be an anti-ulcer factor. That’s why it is used in curing stomach, intestine, and duodenum ulcers. Cabbage juice is considered to be a true medication as well as the preventative. The leaves are used for the compresses for the joints.
- Cucumber-great for rheumatism and arthritis. It stimulates the functioning of kidneys; therefore, the body is cleansed from the toxins. The cucumber is used for years in beauty because it refreshes and tightens the skin.
- Paprika- contains rejuvenating properties. It prevents the calcification of the tissues and veins. Capsicum contained in paprika, through the stimulation of the digestive glands and adrenal cortices generally strengthens the body.
- Celery- celery juice together with lemon juice is recommended for the diabetics to control the glucose levels in the blood. The bulb has great healing properties when it comes to rheumatism and arthritis. It also helps to heal inflammation of intestines, urinary bladder, or bronchus.
- Lettuce- it contains an active ingredient that is calming, promotes sleep, and decreases the pain. It also clears the skin (just like cucumber), therefore, it is used to clear out acne.
- Potatoes- similarly to tomatoes have diastolic properties, which is beneficial for inflammation of the gastric mucosa and inflammation of intestines. The juice from the raw potato is also beneficial with stomach ulcers and constipation. Daily, you should drink a juice made from one potato. It’s not recommended to eat them raw because they might be toxic.
- Tomatoes- they work wonders for the stomach ulcers, inflammation of the stomach mucous membrane, and constipation. One glass of tomato juice drank at night decreases the cholesterol levels.
- Spinach- is most importantly used as a source of iron, but not only. It was proven that the iron from the spinach doesn’t get absorbed into the body well. However, it contains vitamin B11 which contributes to the proper development of the red blood cells and the proper functioning of the digestive system. Secretin contained in this vegetable stimulates the production of the pancreas juices. Spinach is also recommended when the pancreas doesn’t function properly.
- Nettle- for many it is simply a weed, but others use it as a medication. Fresh nettle leaves can be used in salads or to make a juice. However, it is mostly consumed in a form of a tea. This plant most importantly cleanses the blood and acts as a diuretic- detoxifying the body. It supports the activities of the cells and supports their regeneration. It is great as a remedy for rheumatism, or skin and hair diseases.
As I already mentioned this is only a small and selected number of many great and healing vegetables, the most popular, in my opinion. Nature gives us a huge number of plants, of which so many are undiscovered.
However, you must be aware that today’s agriculture methods (sprayings which chemicals such as roundup) cause the vegetables to lose their vitamins and minerals and in result decreases their healing properties. That’s why you need to buy them from the trusted organic and non-toxic sources. However, it gets very difficult that’s why you should consider growing your own crops. In this way, you can control the quality of your food J
Sources: Slawomir Smielowski