Oregano is an aromatic spice, often used in the kitchen.
It was known in ancient times and not only because of its culinary qualities but also because of its healing properties.
In the past, oregano was used as an antidote to venomous animal bites, headaches, flatulence, and various types of poisoning.
Until recently, oregano decoction was used for toothache.
Currently, oregano is still used as a diuretic, antispasmodic, disinfecting, and anti-inflammatory herb. It also helps in digestive disorders and the treatment of the respiratory tract. The marjoram is characterized by a very intense scent, which is due to the oil. It is the main ingredient of this plant. The composition of this oil is different in each variation and depends on the origin, selection, collection process, and proper drying.
What does oregano oil contain?
Its composition includes thymol about 30%, carvacrol about 25%, limonene, phenol, terpinene, ocimene, beta-bisabolene about 13%, p-cymene, linalool, 4-terpineol, germacrene D about 3%.
Oregano oil has a very strong bactericidal, parasiticidal, pesticidal, and fungicidal effect. It is carvacrol, its ingredient, which qualifies it to be used as an antibiotic. That is why it is increasingly used as an alternative to antibiotic treatment. Oregano oil is very strong in its action and you should be careful when using it so that you don’t burn your mouth or skin. The oils available for sale are either diluted from 5-20% as well as undiluted.
In the case of diluted oil, use it according to the guidelines on the packaging. In the case of undiluted, you should dilute it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations, in cooking oil, juice, honey, or milk. Never dilute the oil in water!
The oil should not be used by pregnant women and people allergic to mint, thyme, and sage. When using the treatment with oregano oil, you should use probiotics because taking it for a long time can sterilize the intestinal bacterial flora.
How do you get the oil?
You can obtain it by steam distillation of fresh leaves and oregano flowers.
Healing properties of oregano oil:
- Oregano oil is very effective in the treatment of fungus; it inhibits its growth and parasites.
- It is recommended to use it for any infection, both viral and bacterial.
- Also, taken internally, it destroys parasites in the digestive system, refreshes your breath, heals gum inflammation and toothache, helps with colds, flu, sinus, sore throat, bronchitis, and pneumonia. It increases your body’s resistance and helps with digestive disorders.
- Externally, however, it is very effective in the treatment of athlete’s foot, nail fungus, pain caused by colds or ulcers, in the treatment of eczema, helps get rid of dandruff, acne, relieves itching and rash, and externally in an ear infection.
- In addition, it is also effective with insect bites, scratches, and swelling.
Proper use of Oregano Oil
- Inhalation – add a few drops of oregano oil to a bowl of hot water. Then, cover the head over the bowl (with a towel) and inhale the fumes for about 10 minutes.
- Use essential oil diffuser – add a few drops of oregano oil to the diffuser and also inhale the generated fumes.
- Ointment – a few drops of oregano oil, mixed with a teaspoon of coconut oil. The ointment prepared in this way is applied in the case of coughing and respiratory infections, on the chest.
- You can also apply under the tongue, mixing a few drops of oregano oil with 1-2 tablespoons of coconut oil, for example. Keep such a mixture under the tongue for about 1 minute and spit it out. Repeat this process twice a day.
- You can also add oregano oil to toothpaste, about 1 drop per wash. It helps with pain and inflammation in teeth and gums.
- You can also add oregano oil to shampoo. About 4-5 drops of oregano oil per scoop of shampoo. Massage into the scalp, leave for a few minutes, and then wash off. You can do this treatment twice a week.
- Insect spray – 20 drops of oregano oil, mix with 15 drops of lemon oil, add a little water, and pour into the spray bottle.
- Cockroach and ants repellent – 5 drops of oregano oil, 5 drops of lemon oil, 5 drops of eucalyptus oil, 50 ml of witch hazel tonic, 50 ml of boiled, cooled water. Pour into a spray bottle, spray the clothes.
Source: „Health without medications”, article. „Amazing oregano oil”, Agata Majcher.